The mission of the American Retirees Education Foundation is to research, educate and inform retirees, future retirees and the general public on how best to protect and promote retirement income security and retiree health care. The Foundation will develop and advocate policy recommendations based on its research findings to relevant constituency groups, the media, the general public, and Federal and state policymakers.
AREF Mission Is Not…
we're not allowed to lobby members of Congress, their staffs or Congressional Committees. The bottom line is that the AREF is not allowed to lobby for passage of legislation or regulations.
AREF Is A Tax-Exempt Organization
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has approved the American Retirees Education Foundation (AREF) as a tax-exempt organization that is eligible to receive tax-deductible charitable donations. Click on the "Tax- Deductible Information" tab above to read and copy three important IRS approval documents.
AREF APPEAL LETTER
Dear Retiree or Future Retiree December 2019
Without AREF’s research and whitepapers we would not be able to remain proactive in lobbying on your behalf. The AREF Board hopes that the following actions during 2019 will cause you to renew or make a first-time tax-deductible donation to the AREF. How to make your donation is explained at the end of this letter.
- In preparation for the NRLN Annual Leadership Conference in Washington, DC, February 25-27, AREF researched and updated two whitepapers used for lobbying members of Congress. The major rewrite of the whitepapers with new titles included: Medicare Advantage Plans – Speeding Toward Privatization, $350 Billion Wasted on Subsidies to Private Insurers and Congress and The President Must Act to Reduce the Price of Prescription Drugs: Talk Is Cheap – Drugs Are Not!
- Information from the AREF’s prescription drug prices whitepaper was used by the NRLN for an Action Alert issued on February 7. The House passed three bills on May 16 that the NRLN lobbied for to reduce the price of medicines. The Senate Committee on the Judiciary has passed two prescription drug bills and the NRLN has called for the bills to be voted on by the entire Senate.
- On February 25 at the NRLN’s Annual Leadership Conference and again on September 23 at the NRLN’s fall Fly-In to Washington, DC, AREF briefed NRLN members on the issues to take to Capitol Hill to educate and lobby Representatives and Senators:
- Support passage of the 2019 Social Security 2100 Act to fund the program for the next 75 years.
- Pass specific bills to reduce the cost of prescription drugs.
- Protect Medicare Advantage plan beneficiaries from losing coverage if Medicare is privatized.
- Extend nineteen new benefits approved for Medicare Advantage plans to Original Medicare participants.
- Protect pension plan participants when a plan sponsor converts the pension plan to annuities.
- Protect retirees from pension recoupment (paying back overpayments); bar monthly recoupment after being retired for 3 years and reduce the percent that can be taken from pension checks.
- Reduce the Section 420 surplus transfer limit from 125% to 110% so well-funded pension plans could apply surplus to save participants’ life and healthcare insurance that might otherwise be cancelled.
- At the February conference, the AREF arranged for a presentation by Tom Reeder, who at the time was director of the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation. At the September Fly-In, AREF arranged for a presentation on the Social Security 2100 Act by Nancy Perry, Legislative Director for Representative John Larson (CT-01) who introduced H.R. 860, Social Security 2100 Act.
Please make a tax-deductible donation to the AREF by completing the form below and mail a check to the AREF in the enclosed envelope. To make an online AREF donation with your credit card, click here.
The AREF’s IRS EIN number is 47-2146998. IRA requested or Required Minimum Distributions, bequests and grants from public and private foundations may require other documents that are available on this website, under the “Tax-Deductible Information” tab. If you are interested in including the AREF in a will or trust, see your tax advisor. You may send an email to me at: chairman@seniorsAREF.org, or call AREF at: 866-360-7197 for other information.
Bill Kadereit, AREF Chairman and President and NRLN President
Click here to print an AREF donation form or make a donation with your credit card.
AmazonSmile Program to Benefit the American Retirees Education Program (AREF)
The National Retiree Legislative Network (NRLN) board created the American Retiree Education Foundation (AREF) in 2014 as a 501(c)(3) tax-deductible, nonprofit education foundation to expand the research and educational reach of the NRLN and to enable NRLN to sharpen its focus as an organization lobbying for the passage of federal legislation and regulations that benefit retirees.
The AREF is always seeking ways to increase its funding through individual tax-deductible contributions, grants from public and private foundations, individual tax-deductible bequests and non-traditional ways. AREF funds pay for a number of tasks previously paid for by the NRLN. For example, the updating this month of the white paper on Protecting Pension Assets which is used to educate members of Congress on the need for legislation to prevent pension plan sponsors from using plan assets for non-pension expenses. Access the white paper here.
The AREF has identified a non-traditional way that you can help fund the AREF without costing you anything extra if (when) you make a purchase online from Amazon through its AmazonSmile program designed to provide a percentage of a purchase price to qualified non-profit organizations, such as the AREF. I urge you to read the following information and help provide funding to the AREF should you make an Amazon purchase. Click here to learn more about AmazonSmile.